Sunday, May 17, 2009

On the road again - finally

I have been "enduring" a gig in Manhattan for the last month or so. It involved about 5 hours/day of commuting. It was a true grind. So, I'm really glad that Esther and I are on the way to Texas again. We are as far as Missouri now, with a couple of strange things behind us on this trip.

Yesterday we stayed on the road far longer than usual. We stopped by the original motel and canceled, then drove for another two or three hours, ending up near Columbus, Ohio. There we experienced our first drive-thru checkin! It was weird. They had a drawer like a bank, and asked for my credit card and driver's license. Then they handed out the keys via the drawer. This was not the best of places. It was a bit old and rundown. The non-smoking rooms smelled like cigarette smoke. But we endured.

During the evening I canceled a Days Inn reservation. During the conversation I discovered that, despite the fact the reservation was two days off, they had charged me for the room and would refund nothing. Apparently I received a special discount (via their website). The conditions of the discount, which were never made clear to me, were those mentioned above. I normally get a popup or something similar that let's me know when a credit charge will be made immediately. I am now going all Caesar Chavez on their ass. Huelga! Huelga! No lechugas for you bastards!

Tonight's stay is in a brand new Super 8 that has clean and spacious rooms. The GPS took us 8 miles on a back country dirt road to get here, instead of asking us to turn right immediately after leaving the interstate. Go figure. We must have passed by it at some point without seeing it early in the trip.

Long days should get us there a bit earlier than anticipated. We'll see what else happens out here in the middle of Willy Nelson's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment