Saturday, July 25, 2009

Google Maps My Location scam

You must need to be in California to have the new My Location feature be accurate. That is where most of the pundits are who were able to find themselves without feeling for their own asses. Over the last week My Location placed me in the following:
  1. San Francisco Bay area
  2. Chicago
  3. Austin
  4. Los Angeles
All of this while at home in New Jersey, using the same PC. I take great comfort that both Google Chrome and Firefox are consistent in finding me in the same, wrong place. WTF? There seems to be no way to fix and/or enter a location. Not sure what crowd sourcing means, but apparently it DOES NOT mean either providing any value to the crowd or letting the crowd make manual contributions...


BTW, the "Geolocation API" does not seem to be able to sense when a GPS sensor is connected to a laptop, either. Go figure. Perhaps it is a bit much to expect that a GPS would be useful in providing a location? Sometimes the combination of arrogance and shortsightedness in delivery make the news seem pretty silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment