Thursday, February 18, 2010

Time for a new DSLR

I have been using an Olympus SP-560-UZ for a couple of years. It is small, but extremely capable. It zooms all the way from wide angle to 18x, self-cleans, stabilizes shots, and makes a very flexible platform for this kind of shooting. I bought it in reaction to the weight and inconvenience of lens changing with a standard DSLR. But it carries a bit of baggage. It doesn't start instantly. It doesn't do very well at night (there is just not enough glass to collect light to feed the sensor). In addition, it has the annoying quirks of this kind of camera: focusing takes some time, and the shutter doesn't fire quickly enough. The result is that I get pictures like those below.

This is a radar plane doing go around practice at the Wallop flight facility.


This is the rear end of geese on Assateague. I got the rear because I could not get the shutter to fire when I had a nice side shot. Still, I love the flexibility of this camera. I am waiting for the Canon 550D to come out, though. Then I'll get back in.


Today we visited the "found art" from the other day. Someone had rearranged it so that the hawser was laid out straight. It stretched out the other side of the tree for another 50 feet or so.


We poked around again on the "lonely" looking beach, finally focusing on this single pine.


I couldn't get enough of this one, since it showed so well what the storms had done. In some places it had worn right through.


Elsewhere there were only pointy little shreds of wood left.


I really liked the texture of the inside of the tree. Sand-blasting by the storm had left only half of its original diameter. It looked like individual rings had been surgically separated.


I am guessing that summer growth wore away, leaving winter. Maybe one of my forestry friends will weigh in on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment