Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sanctum sanctorum sent by sweet sister


In my younger days I spent a lot of time with my paternal grandmother. She lived right next to the school ground in the town in which I grew up. She was a wonderful woman, busy, vibrant, strong, and a wonderful cook. Since I had lots of after school sports and extra-curricular things to do, invariably I would wait at her house for a ride home.

A key ingredient in my life from those days was her home-made bread. She made both white and whole wheat loaves, and I loved them both. They were always there, either fresh from the oven or frozen for another day. I always had either the bread itself or the smell of it baking while at Grandma's house. It was also an ingredient in her turkey stuffing on holidays. Grandma is long gone, but her bread is still with us.

Imagine my surprise and pleasure when my very thoughtful sister sent me the bowl above - the very bowl that Grandma used to make her bread! She is long gone, but this priceless thing reminds me of her every day. I remember the bread-making days very well. I used to watch her and ask questions. She was a very meticulous and frugal baker, measuring carefully, and never wasting a thing. Her experiences during the Great Depression guided her every task in the kitchen. She taught me how to make this bread and taught me that it was a key component of a well-run household. It spoiled me for the "sponge" bread that you got in the store in those days. I can still picture her 5 foot tall figure slamming the bread down on the counter while kneading, making the whole house resound.

Today was the first day I have made her bread (the whole wheat version) since receiving the bowl, a very special present. I thought I might share the process. Having everything ready to go is important to me. It avoids extra steps and hesitations. This has become instinctive to me. The list of ingredients is below, along with comments.


I have taken some liberties with her recipe, as ingredients have changed or improved since then.

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup shortening (I sometimes use the original lard for the taste - I did today)
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 cup milk powder (Grandma scalded milk and used it directly - I don't think anyone still does that.)
  • 1/4 cup steel milled oats (optional - Grandma did not use that, but I used it today.)
  • 2 cups boiling water
Combine this set of ingredients in the bowl, allowing the boiling water to melt the shortening or lard.


Don't worry if there are a few, soft lumps left. They will incorporate as things go along.


While the fat is softening and melting, use some of the boiling water,  a pinch of brown sugar, and cold water to get a cup of warm water (you should be able to stick your finger in and hold it there). Then add the following:

  • 2 teaspoons of fast-acting dry yeast (Grandma used yeast cakes. They are still available, but the new yeast rises super-fast. It is just more convenient for me.)
The yeast should start foaming fairly quickly as it proofs. There is no need for it to go crazy; just let some bubbles form, then stir to make sure all the yeast is in the liquid.


Leave the yeast on the side while proceeding to add the following to the liquid

  • 3 cups of white flour (Grandma used 4, but I like the added wheat flavor when trimming down the white flour)
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour
Stir the flour into the water/shortening/milk powder mixture until it is all together. Then stir in the cup of yeast, stirring until the mixture is uniform.

At that point add

  • 4 cups of whole wheat flour
Mix until a shaggy dough is formed and most of the flour is incorporated. Don't worry if a bit is left. Just be frugal and use it as things move along.


The dough should look like that above. Turn it out on your table or counter for kneading. It starts out looking like this. Use extra white or whole wheat flour if it sticks.


It ends up looking like this. Don't forget to slam it down on the counter a few times during the process. It helps the gluten form so your bread sticks together.


Cover it in the mixing bowl and let it rise until doubled. Grandma used a round metal lid over her bread, then wrapped the whole thing in an old sweater. The new yeast makes that unnecessary. I sometimes think this stuff would work outdoors on a winter morning. Let it double - it should take 20-30 minutes. Don't let it overrise. That will make the bread crumbly and dry when baked.


Punch down the dough, knead and slam it again, then separate it into three even pieces. This is a good time to find out whether you have obsessive/compulsive disorder. I do, so I obsessively DO NOT make them even. I rolled today's bread in more steel milled oats to give a bit of bite on the crust. Cover the loaves and let them double - again, about twenty to thirty minutes.


Bake them at 350F for 45-55 minutes (baking time depends on the day, the size of your loaves, and the accuracy of your oven). They are done when you tap the bottom of the loaf and it sounds hollow.


Today's effort came out pretty good. This loaf shows a bit too much oven spring (larger holes in the top part of the loaf). E liked the mie (French word meaning crumb, but referring to the innate texture of the bread.)


I have no complaints. I always like Grandma's bread.

5 comments:

  1. Jim,

    I soooo enjoyed this! And give that sister a hug from me next time you see her! Better yet...get her on facebook!! ;)

    Yours,
    Kay Grady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooo enjoyed reading this! Give that thoughtful sister of yours a hug from me when next you see her! Better yet, get her on Facebook!
    What's she up to these days??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kay. She was such a huge part of my life. I miss her.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg was working in the facilities function at Ithaca College for several years. She recently retired. I am guessing you won't see her on Facebook, though. Too shy and retiring, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim, glad to have checkd your blog to find this post about your grandmother's homemade breads and your memories. Better yet to "see" the step-by-step procedure and the recipe included. Thanks. This is another one for me to try this winter.

    ReplyDelete