Friday, December 24, 2010

Odds and ends

We have been walking around our neck of the woods, often seeing these gigantic acorns with a rough enclosure. The husk looks a bit like a pine cone in its roughness. They are about 3 times as large as what I am used to for an acorn (note the penny).

Finally I looked them up. This is the seed of a burr oak. It has a huge range, according to Wikipedia. It is found in the Appalachians and in central North America from Texas to Canada. It is the state tree of Iowa. If you are ever starving, it looks like a few of these would make a meal (after preparation). Not that I am any great recognizer of trees, but I thought it strange that I hadn't seen these before.

Are they "odds" or "ends"? I'm pretty sure even George Carlin doesn't know.


The house is coming along. We are trying to do any decorating slowly, with quirky things that we find. All our tchotchkes are still in Virginia, awaiting a spring run in the cheese wagon. (Cheese wagon is what our girls called our various Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler minivans. Our cheese wagons have always done good service dragging crap around. And by crap, I don't mean our girls.)

In one corner of the living room, over the TV, I have hung up a bit of history. Whose history I have no clue. We found these Gothic arch clerestory windows in a consignment shop. I liked the shapes, so I took them home. I also liked the fact they were rough-stripped. There was still a bit of paint left, kind of lumpy and rough. I found a bit of fabric and stretched it over the back, folding it every few inches. Then I hinged the three frames together.


I kind of like the light and shadow, 3-d look with the outer windows folded forward a bit. I think the roughness and the smooth fabric also make a nice contrast.


So, taking heart from this BH (Better Half) and I completed the bedroom with a curved-side headboard and a few of my favorite black and whites taken during our travels.



We'll have a few more things to hang once the tchotchke run is done. Christmas and New Year will put things in limbo for a while.

Have an enjoyable holiday.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - Belated Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year greetings to you both. Also congrats on the house you appear to be settling into - in Austin? Please do let us know when you will be back on the eastern shore collecting stuff and maybe we can get together again. Bet you are glad to have missed this snowstorm here on the ES - our blog has lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the storm on your site. Kind of pretty, but I'm glad we're missing it, too.

    The new place is in Austin, about 10 minutes from our daughter's house. We'll probably be up sometime in April. We'll let you know when we're getting close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will look forward to seeing you both then and hopefully will be at home. We're already planning our next road trip. This time we are heading south to Florida cause we both knows lots of folks living there in various parts. Most likely it will be a 1-2 week drive and BEFORE the beastly hot weather sets in.

    ReplyDelete