Friday, March 21, 2008

Reconnecting - signs of life in NJ

It is actually a little disconcerting to be back here in New Jersey. I miss our time in Jamaica quite a bit. I am starting to get more involved in my part-time project, and wondering why. I am a bit torn and disappointed to have given up our night life and ties to family over there. On the other hand, reconnecting with the project has given me the opportunity to visit with my own family a bit.

Today our nieces from Jamaica came over to see their PoPo (their Chinese grandma came back with us from Jamaica.) One of the girls is going to Mt. Holyoke (on a scholarship for squash). The other is coaching in a health club here in New Jersey. Both girls are very athletic, good players. They are also very pretty. They have not been over to our house before. It was nice to see them. I think they will come again while PoPo is here.

Tonight we reconnected with Yann and Rebekah and their son, Evan. I worked with Yann and Rebekah earlier in my career (and theirs).  They live over in western New Jersey, near the Delaware River. We tried a small Mexican restaurant in Frenchtown. The food was good, as was the company. One of Reb's friends accompanied them, along with her young boy. He and Evan, both around 3 years old, wiggled like kids all night long while everybody gabbed. The waitresses dodged the kids pretty skillfully while carrying several plates of dinner to their patrons. The little guys made new friends and investigated everything in the restaurant.

We were there around 6. The place really started getting full somewhere around 7:30 or so. For me, the setting was difficult. It was noisy and it was hard to hear enough to maintain a conversation. Despite this I did my best to tease Yann with my recent retirement. He took it with good grace, though. I think he is really hitting his stride at work and enjoying it! He will return to his native France soon with Evan for a visit.

It was a good day. I should maybe loosen up a little and try to enjoy here, too?!? Yeah, next time I will take my camera. It's not just dancing girls that people want to see...

1 comment:

  1. Kind of weird to read about yourself in a blog entry :).
    Just wanted to comment on one thing, I think happy people can be happy anywhere. In different ways, with preferences, but happy anyway.
    Sure helps when the weather is warmer though.
    Don't be a stranger...

    ReplyDelete