Thursday, June 11, 2009

Damn concrete roads - off the beaten path - tribute to Dan - did not expect this

All of this post corresponds to what Esther calls "silly behavior". Apparently this is endearing, as when I do not display it she thinks I am sick or demented. Anyway, here goes...

I hate concrete roads. Arkansas has a whole bunch in disrepair. They sound a bit like a boxer's speed bag. Ta-poketa-poketa-poketa-tut-tut-tut-poka-poka-poketa-poketa. This gets as old a a trucker's blues after say, 100 miles or so.

Poketa-poketa-poketa
My baby she done left me, 'cause I drank the whole town dry
My baby she done left me, she didn't tell me why
Poka-tut-tut-poka-tut-tut-poka
I'm havin' a hard time drivin'
But grown men just don't cry

So, today we have been moving on through Tennessee. In the middle of the day we took a detour from the interstate grind and traveled up through the Blue Ridge on Route 58. This was a bit like a drive up the mountains in Jamaica. The road fought like a boa constrictor. It was windy, it was wiggly, it made my head spin. But it was really beautiful. Here is a picture of Lover's Leap, way up on top of a hill in Virginia.


We were way up above the clouds. We had to drive through a layer on the way down the other side. This is a spectacular spot. Click the picture to see it in full size.

We began to notice during this part of the trip that Virginia loves Dan. We do, too, so here is a bit of a tribute to Dan. It all started with Route 58, known as the Danville Road. Then, of course, we came across the Dan River.


And the road named after it.



Of course, there are the Meadows of Dan.


With what I consider to be superior signage.


On the way in, and on the way out, in case you missed.


Of course, you could just pass it by. I wouldn't recommend that, though.


Well, just in case you had forgotten, it is all about Dan.


You have to drive a ways, but you finally get there.


There is plenty more Dan, too. This is just a sample. There is even a Dan Science Center.


My favorite of all, though, is this one.


So long, Dan. We enjoyed our stay with you and Heather. Heather, this one is for you. This greeted us at the hotel when we returned for dinner. Mom thought it was a scorpion at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment