Monday, December 14, 2009

Modern miracles

So Heather (our youngest) uses her cell phone to call up her Mom, who happens to be in Jamaica. She dials a VOIP number which rings in Kingston, at her uncle's home. She is on her way to a nursing school class in Austin, Texas.

Well,  she takes a wrong turn, and begins to get lost. So she says to her Mom, "Can you ask Dad for help." I am on my PC, linked to the Internet via a wireless router. So I pull up Google maps, find out where she is and where she is going. Then I guide her turn-by-turn to get back on track for school in Texas.

Her phone, which she did not want yelling in her ear, is an Android phone. It could have been guiding her using a  set of GPS satellites and Google Navigation. So I told her, "No problem, any time you are lost in Texas, please feel free to call us up in Jamaica."

She said, "Whatever." Spoiled rotten, this younger generation. At her age I would have had to carve a map in stone for myself to get to that school.

No comments:

Post a Comment