Monday, December 14, 2009

Our girls are women now

They are strong and capable. They are independent. They know what to do. It is good. But our youngest will get married in about two weeks time. She has made a good choice. We are happy to claim her fiance for our family. We are happy for her.

But tonight I thought about "giving away" our youngest. For this wedding it will not be like that; it will be more like accepting Dan into our family. Giving a daughter away is an old-fashioned and out of date concept, anyway.

But to me tonight it felt like the snap of the last tiny string holding her to me. It was like the end of her need for me. It drove me to tears, the thought of losing my baby. As I sit here writing it is still like that, even though I know it is not true. It is one of the saddest feelings I ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment