Thursday, July 17, 2008

Moving east into Louisiana

Driving down 71 from Austin toward I-10, we could see the transition out of the limestone hills and into east Texas. It became flatter than piss on a platter. We began to see more evidence of canals and flood control efforts. The farms became huge. Water became more evident as part of the landscape.

I-10 through Houston kind of stinks. It twists and turns and merges and splits. It has construction. It has traffic. It seems to be in the city for thirty or more miles. Finally, though, you come to the Houston inner city skyline, which is quite nice.

Then it's onward into the land where the refineries and chemical plants exists. This is ugly, but it no longer stinks like it used to. Somebody tightened the valves and joints since the fugitive emissions furor in the 1990s. It's a long time since I've been down here. I didn't miss it a bit.

And finally we arrive near Lafayette, our resting place for the day. I'm tired. But, after checking in and connecting via wireless, I find that Sophie has written. Nice to hear from her. We may have a project together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment