Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Google Maps My Location Scam - continued

You may remember the Google Maps My Location scam post earlier this year. Google Maps had implemented a new feature that purportedly showed your current location on a map. It used wireless routers and other items to help locate you on a map. It just plain did not work for me at the time. It put me in Austin, Texas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago and moved around among them. It finally settled on Austin, Texas.

Well, we just sold our house in New Jersey (and brought along our wireless router to use down here in Chincoteague, Va.) I just set the router up last night on a new cable modem. This morning I decided to try My Location again. It put me smack dab in our old house in New Jersey. I just love it when raw HUMAN assumptions screw up the use of technology. Someone clearly decided that wireless routers do not move, so why use their IP addresses EACH TIME to find their location. And so it goes...

1 comment:

  1. It pegged me on the runway at Raleigh International Airport. Unfortunately, I'm here in Budapest desparate for sightseeing directions. :-(

    ReplyDelete