Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Favorite younger daughter (FYD) and favorite older daughter (FOD) are together with us this Father's Day. That is a great thing; it has not happened in a few years. Just had a marvelous breakfast, thanks to FYD. They both continue to communicate, for which we (Mom and I) are very thankful. We have seen some relationships with children ruined by inattention and giving up, but we are both too stubborn to give up with ours. Retirement is a very joyful time for us, as we have more time to ourselves and to share with FYD, FOD, and favorite son-in-law FSIL.

On to my own Dad. Someone once made a comment that "You really love your Dad, don't you?" That was a long time ago; I did, and I still do. He continues to be a huge influence on my life, sharing his thoughts, teaching me how to do things, counseling me on how to live right.

His independence and quirkiness are constant and enjoyable. This was his idea of a self-portrait at some point in his life when he grew a beard. For a while I had it in my possession, but I gave it back to him a couple of years ago when we were moving.


Dad had an engineering position at Cornell University's Lab of Nuclear Studies. He taught me a lot of science when I was younger. He also taught me how to deal with cars and other mechanical/electrical devices. I spent lots of time in the lab, smelling the smells, listening to the sounds, hearing physicists talking.

Dad was an Eagle scout in the first Boy Scout troop in Trumansburg, New York. He represented the Scouts well in all his years. He taught by example how to do good turns. For years he kept a local widow supplied with wood so she could have heat in the winter (and continue her independence as long as possible). He visited friends in nursing homes. He volunteered at the US Forest Service and elsewhere. He repaired things for his friends.

Thanks, Dad, for being a good example to me, for teaching me things I still use today, for advocating the independence I treasure still, for goading me out of the doldrums. I'll love you always.

1 comment:

  1. Nice rembrance of your dad, Jim.
    Happy Father's Day wishes to you a bit belatedly. I'll bet you and your family did something fun and it's really great that you could be all together to celebrate your day!

    ReplyDelete